Written by Nikki Swartz
Thinking about remodeling your home?
Come and get inspired at the Spring 2018 Kansas City NARI Remodeled Homes Tour this weekend, April 28 and 29. It’s the place to go for remodeling ideas and the only place to meet professional National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) contractors.
Tour Johnson County remodeled homes and get ideas to remodel your home, as well as talk to professional contractors who can answer your burning remodeling questions.
Tickets are available online at www.remodelingkc.com/remodeled-homes-tour-2018 or may be purchased at any of the tour homes, April 28, 10am-5pm and April 29, 11am-4pm.
According NARI members, below is a list of the most important questions homeowners should ask a contractor before they begin a remodel:
• What is your timeline for starting/completing the project?
• How many days a week will you work and during what hours?
• What is the estimated cost of supplies and labor? (cost per square foot)
• How long have you been in business?
• Who will be working on the project – employees or subcontractors?
• Does your company carry workers compensation and liability insurance? (Always verify this information by calling the insurance agency.)
• Do you have proper licensing? If licensing is required, ask if the contractor is licensed and call to verify compliance with the law. Not all jurisdictions offer or require licensing. Check with local or state government agencies.
• How many projects like mine have you completed in the past year? May I have a list of references from those projects?
• What percentage of your business is repeat or referral business?
• Are you a member of a national trade association such as NARI? Have you or your employees been certified in remodeling or had any special training or education, such as earning a Certified Remodeler (CR), Certified Remodeler Specialist (CRS) or Certified Lead Carpenter (CLC) or Certified Kitchen & Bath Remodeler (CKBR) designation?
Of course, timing and money are important considerations but NARI says homeowners should not forget to ask about credentials or to verify business practices.
You can ask NARI contractors questions in person and tour Johnson County remodeled homes to spark your own project ideas this weekend at the Spring 2018 Kansas City NARI Remodeled Homes Tour.
If you are considering a remodel before selling your home, call your local real estate experts at Team RE Kansas City, 913.451.5711 or www.teamre.com. Some remodels will definitely bump up your home’s value and selling price, but others will not. Ask us, we can give you our expert advice. Find out why we’re the No. 1 real estate team in Kansas and the No. 9 real estate team nationally, according to the Wall Street Journal!