So you can’t start your day without a good cup of Joe but your taste buds are more sophisticated Suburbanite than Starbucks? But where do you find great Kansas City coffee?
Foursquare recently rated the top spots for gourmet coffee in Kansas City:
- Quay Coffee (412 Delaware St., KC, Mo.): Nestled in the River Market area, this shop’s name pays homage to the former name of the River Market, “River Quay,” pronounced “key.” Quay describes itself as “hangout brewing, direct-trade beans & pour-over cups in an industrial-chic, exposed-brick setting.” It’s a coffee shop for coffee snobs, only the staff isn’t snobby at all. The menu is simple and limited for one reason: The coffee is that good. Foursquare praised Quay for taking its time and getting it right. it recently opened a second location inside the Nelson-Atkins. How’s that for sophisticated?
- Crows Coffee (South Plaza, Waldo and Red Bridge Road): This coffee stop has three locations open to serve Kansas City coffee. It specializes in artisan lattes, breakfast burritos and great service in a cozy setting. Foursquare singled out the iced coffee and blueberry scones as particularly praise-worthy.
- City Market Coffee Roasters (305 Main St.): City Market Coffee Roasters’ coffee is so good, according to Foursquare reviewers, you should skip the cream and sugar so you can really taste the flavor of the coffee. They serve specially crafted coffees, smoothies, breakfast burritos and paninis. All coffee is sourced through fair trade farms. City Market Coffee is “committed to quality and love in every cup.” The coffees are meticulously roasted to highlight the inherent nuances within each bean and roasted in 7-pound batches, hand sorted before and after roasting, and hand-packaged. The coffee must be something special — they ship it to fans all over the United States.
- Black Dog Coffeehouse (Rosehill Pointe, Lenexa): On the Kansas side, Black Dog Coffeehouse is a can’t-miss. This place has it all: a cozy cafe with an eclectic following offering basic and specialty coffee drinks. Black Dog Coffeehouse also features bread and pastries from nextdoor Ibis Bakery, a great food menu, and a cozy atmosphere and decor featuring local artists. It serves breakfast, lunch, coffee, espresso and beloved lattes like Toasted Marshmallow and Snickers.
- Whistle Stop Coffee (228 SE Main, Lee’s Summit): Located in the heart of Downtown Lee’s Summit, this coffee shop is worth the stop. It serves up delicious pastries, breakfast, a cafe-style lunch, and more than 60 different coffee beans in a cozy cute atmosphere. Celebrating their 10th anniversary this year, Whistle Stop features a creative variety of drinks, including the Earl Grey Chai Frost Frappe and Toasted Coconut Mocha. Or pair a Snicker Pie Mocha or Chocolate Hazelnut Mocha with a banana chocolate chip loaf. Locals say the White Chocolate Chestnut Latte perfect for a chilly fall day.
These are just a few of Foursquare’s favorite Kansas City coffee shops. It’s the perfect time of year to have fun trying them all if you haven’t already. Tell them Team RE sent you! We love our coffee almost as much as we love helping people buy and sell homes in our favorite city, KC. Call on us if you need a real estate expert on your team … let’s meet for coffee! Visit www.teamre.com.